Tuesday, June 24, 2008

From the fire safety council, Tuesday night

Thanks for including me on these. It is so ironic that just the day before the lightning storm I urged you to not wait too long to have your next fire safety meeting!

There are fires still burning in the Leonard Lake area, called “Reeves” (as in Reeves Canyon) I think; I could see their glow last night as I drove south from Willits. The fires toward the Comptche area are called “Navarro” and are near Flynn Creek and on Navarro Ridge, with Rancho Navarro threatened and under an “advisory evacuation,” which means to prepare to evacuate, in case it becomes necessary. The Orr Springs Resort and Montgomery Woods are under an “immediate threat” evacuation and that area is still very dangerous.

KZYX just had a long report from Tracy Boudreaux, CAL FIRE’s Public Information Officer, and they will probably repeat parts of it as the day goes on. (Did you hear it?) ALSO, at 1:30 today the Supervisors will receive an official report from CAL FIRE chiefs about the overall status, and I’m sure KXYZ will air that, either live or later.

I plan to go over to the air base and look at their map to check out names of fires. I’ll send you more info if I have anything that’s not on KZYX. Also, I may work at the Incident Command Center later today and may pick up more info there.

The new PUBLIC INFO number is 467-6426, at the Command Center.

Be safe! Please don’t fight any fires without proper shoes and clothing!

Julie Rogers

Executive Director

Mendocino County Fire Safe Council

firesafe@pacific.net

(707) 462-3662

No comments: