Wednesday, July 2, 2008

From Guy, about the heroic cat

Aurelea says: this came with photos; I have to reformat them before posting. Coming soon!

Y says: photos posted!

Hey there fellow firefighters. Once again I'm reminded of why I live here. What an amazing community we live in. Greenfielders really came together & stepped up to the challenge this time. We deserve to be congratulated.

So I thought I'd give everyone an update on my exploits with Diane the D6 over the past week or so. We cleared fire breaks, shoved brush piles ,or built roads at 14 different homesteads. In the process we ripped up 7 waterlines, "disconnected" 4 phone lines, flattened one outhouse (unoccupied at the time), & fortunately left all propane lines intact. We also created one long break (about a mile) along the southwestern ridge on parcel 19 from the Singly Ranch fence to my vineyard. In addition we widened many roads as we travelled from one home to the next.
Diane was built in 1953 & for her age held up quite well. A couple of times her track pins worked their way loose & her muffler kept falling off until it finally disintegrated. She guzzled about 180 gallons of diesel fuel at a cost of around $900 & a fair amount of engine & hydraulic oil. Any contributions toward these expenses would be gratefully received. I should acknowledge Dave Hawley & Mike Whelan who have actually owned Diane for about a year now but fortunately for us didn't get around to picking her up from our place. Thank you Dave & Mike for allowing me to commandeer Diane without your prior consent. I will work out some compensation for them out of any donations.
In particular I want to thank all the volunteers who came to our aid who don't live on the ranch, we are so grateful.

Thank you all

GUY

PS..... Zack Darling works for a company that can give us great deals on water tanks & other equipment. Calll Linda or me if you are interested


Hi Folks,

We made a mistake when we selected the photos to go with Guy's last message. We had intended to include this one instead of one of the others. This is a photo of Guy and Carlos & Liz's son, Vince, who's a young bulldozer apprentice.

- Guy & Linda

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where can I send you some money for all that fuel and grueling work? You Greenfielders have been amazing, and we are beyond grateful for all your efforts, and btw you probably saved our homestead as we are downwind from y'all.

Many thanks!!
Susan

billblog said...

Dear Diane and Guy,

What a great team you are together. Glad the fire fever is abated. Now, no way to run but forward.

What a fine community on Greenfield. Hope to visit again.

Peace,
bill